Monday, February 16, 2009

The joys of home ownership



So.....I come home Thursday night and my wife says "honey, the dryer's not working". Great last week the PC, this week the dryer. Well, Mr. fixit has fixed it before, I'll fix it again, says I. I have a pretty good idea what the problem is. I begin to take the old beast apart the next evening. Half way through I pull my hand out and scrape it along one of the sheet metal panels. Sharp as a freakin razor blade they are, cutting the back of my hand right down to the tendons. I'm talking a huge, deep, nasty ass cut. Now, I hate needles, but I know this baby needs stitches. I wrap it up, and call the wife. I tell her "get home quick and bring a suture kit". I quickly find out my place in the priority list isn't as high as I'd like. "Sorry, put a band aid on it, I have patients" was not what I wanted to hear. But Being a "dude" I handle the situation with grace and improvisation. I broke open a bottle of super glue and glue my hand back together. Works like a charm by the way! And don't think it's the first time I've done it.

Saturday, I finish tearing the dryer apart, give it a thorough cleaning and lubricate all the bearings and rollers. I was sure that was the problem. After re-assembling it I hit the button and presto, it fires right up. Feeling smug, I announce my success and relax to nurse my torn appendage.

Sunday morning dawns to the dreaded "honey, the dryers not working again". God $#&$*$%^$^ wtf now. 10 minutes later I go out and hit the button and it fires up fine........ for like 5 minutes. At this point I wave the white flag. Get in the car, we're going to the store. We look and anything even 1/2 way decent is $500. Nice ones are closer to $1000. Then she spots a sale on a washer dryer combo. One of them fancy front loading "trendy" jobs. Ok fine, at this point I'm a beaten man and we buy the pair. The Durango only holds one, so this means two trips to get them home. But that goes off without a hitch (making it about the only thing all weekend).

Now in the past hooking up a new washer and dryer has been a snap. Do you think it was this time? Ohhhh nooooooo. First, the gas line on the new dryer has a different thread (why after 100 years do they decide to change threads size???). Off to Lowes for a "universal gas line". I get home and install that to the dryer only to find it's only "universal" on one end. Back to Lowes for another fitting. That goes on just fine and finally the dryer is done. On to the washer. I don't foresee any problems here. After all it's only 2 water lines. I turn off the valves and go to unhook the lines from the washer. No problem with the cold but as soon as I loosen the hot I get a shower. The valve is shot. Great, back to friggin Lowes for a valve. I get the new valve installed, hook up the lines and FINALLY think everything is done. All I have to do is turn on the gas and the water.

After turning on the gas and water I needed to relight the pilot light on the water heater. Anyone think that went smoothly? Nope I fiddled with that for 30 minutes before getting it lit. Done finally! Not so fast, "Honey......the heater isn't working". Another 30 minutes of playing with that gets me no where. Now the furnace is new, so I'm pretty sure it's not broken. I finally get the bright idea to "re-boot" it. I unplug the furnace and plug it back in. This does the trick, and I can finally relax.

Now, how was your weekend...... can you top that?

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Golfer_X,
Did you go from a top load washer to a front load washer? I did that and looking back, I like the top load better. IMHO, I think the top load, you can put more clothing in.

But I give to give credit to the front load for how clean it is after washing. But boy does it make clothing wrinkle!

BTW us.. did you buy the HE one. Those are truly worth the money because they barely use water and because it can spin so fast that when its done, the dryer time is not so long. I went from 45min to dry to 30 min.

Oh, sorry to hear about that nasty cut! At least you can still type and write the blogs. heheheh

golfer_X said...

After reading some reviews and consumer reports I chose the Frigidaire Affinity. As a bonus it's price is reasonable compared to many of the other brands (and it happened to be on sale last weekend). Yea, the cut sucks. I don't think I will make golf this Friday....

FairEconomist said...

can you top that?

No.

Hope your hand is OK.

We installed a HE washer and although you can put a lot in I've found it does NOT always get stuff clean that way. It's good with stains and smells but if there's actual material there (e.g. mud) sometimes there's some left. The enzymes are nifty but to move material you need some good ol' water. Same situation with some heavier greases. I keep the load size down for situations like that - not yet sure how much it helps.

They do sip water and that makes me feel nice and thrifty although in view of my predilection for long hot showers I'm not sure how significant the result it. Does speed the drying though.

Also - don't get flood control valves! My husband is the superparanoid type who spends his vacations worrying that the hoses have burst and the house is being destroyed. Well, in spite of glowing claims from the manufacturer in actuality it shuts down for anything over the merest trickle. Pretty useless for a washer.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I can top that. I have a newborn in the house.

...and an 18 month old.

...and a 5 year old.

Sleep deprivation is the worst kind of torture.

It took me a while, but I now understand why the vasectomy was invented. After this weekend, I'm ready to make the hubby an appointment.

I'm jealous of your new appliances!

dirtfarmer said...

I'm a Bosch man all appliances here are bosch, lowes will give you a decent deal on them, rebates are always there, free delivery and usually free setup, the delivery is free on mail-in of the coupon.

My weekend was miserable as well, long ago we had planned for canucn or hawaii, but the wifey said no dear, we will be busy prez week, lets stay close to home !! we reserved san diego for a few days, not knowing that weather was going to sour this bad.
Well we froze our little buns off and it was fairly wet and clammy everywhere there including the hotel room.
The sis is going to Bahama's (atlantis) I wish i was going there too I need to escape this weather, makes me think its Winter.

p.s. Golfer X i got plenty of sterile 3-o to 6-0 sutures with very sharp needles, and 6 kinds of "novocaine' any time you need sowing up.

K said...

Aren't these the new eco friendly washers that congress mandated a couple of years ago? I've never had a problem with skin rashes until we changed over to the new machines. Now we have to run an extra rinse cycle or two to keep from getting a reaction.

Jack said...

We actually have the Frigidaire Affinity set-up as well - it is HE so you save on water and if you have the gas dryer its suppose to save you some in the long haul - plus I believe we received over $150 in different rebates (water, gas, manufacturer)...

Hey, don't most places provide free shipping and set-up or do you enjoy the torture of setting those machines up?

Unknown said...

Sorry about the cut.

Personally, I would have gone the next step in the repair of the old one. Dryers are pretty simple, and parts are cheap. A new motor and belt would have cost you $50 or so, and half an hour to install it.

But I am really "frugal" (ok, maybe "cheap" isn't such a slur these days!)

FreedomCM

Terry said...

Despite all the problems it sounds like you're a man who knows his way around a toolbox. I have a few things I need taken care of. Are you busy next weekend?

Martin Burtin said...

Can't complain on my weekend. Took the wifey to Taps for St. Valentines dinner. Feasted and drank good wine for almost four hours then we found our way over to the movie theater. Great fun, but the game is over, went to the Doc this morning and he told us to diet and exercise. Bummer.

Seth Dallob said...

I got an oil change on my (small) plane this Sunday, hoping for a quick flight before the weather came in. The oil change didn't take long, so I decided to fuel up the plane. I turned on the pump, not squeezing the handle, and a geyser of gasoline sprang forth. I turned it off, and grabbed the hose to clean it off the polycarbonate windows, hoping to not have to replace them. As I'm frantically spraying water everywhere, my wife says,"You put the fuel cap back on, right?" Wrong-o. An unknown and undisclosed amount of water went into the fuel tank, making the plane unsafe to fly. Now I have to pay the mechanic to drain the fuel tank, dispose of the fuel, and I can't fly for another week. Grrrrrr. Hope the hand heals quickly.

Seth
n5083f.blogspot.com

golfer_X said...

Well at least your wife was paying attention. I had a buddy get water in his fuel and he had to glide into Long Beach.

Anonymous said...

Fuel sump? Too late?

DanGarion said...

Wow appears that sucked!

Well I don't know what city you live in or what washer you purchased but you might actually be able to get yourself a $135 rebate on it if it meets the right guidelines for the SoCal Water District rebate system. Check it out and good luck!

http://socalwatersmart.com/index.php

golfer_X said...

Oh, don't worry, I've got the paperwork for the rebates already filled out!

Dirtfarmer, I have a Bosche dishwasher. That thing is Da-Bomb! You practically have to put your ear against it to tell if it's running.

Renee' said...

OMG - what the heck is it with men getting gashes and using freakin super-glue.

The last move we did - my husband was walking (or doing something other than that) down the stairs with our computer ...somehow, someway he missed the LAST step - fell and slced his finger open pretty bad.(thank goodness the computer was fine - LOL) Being that he is a diabetic - I told him that we should go to urgent care - have to watch stuff like that when diabetes is an issue. My husband calmly said "Na - just get me a paper-towel, super glue and tape".... I had no idea that my husbands last name ended in M.D.

golfer_X said...

Hey, my wife is a diabetic too! Although a cut really shouldn't have any effect on blood sugar. Bood volume maybe but if that's the case, low blood sugar is the last of your problems.

Super glue rocks! I glue myself up all the time. Although this gash was by far the worst I've every glued. BTW, it's healing up nicely.