Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Edjumacation not required


Do you ever wonder if there is a minimum education level for getting a Realtor's license? My guess is there is none. After looking at thousands of listings it's painfully obvious that more than a few of them cannot put a coherent sentence together much less be expected to spell the words correctly. Even if you cannot spell to save your life there is a thing called SPELL CHECKER. If you knew you were spelling challenged, wouldn't you use it?

Check out this beauty I ran across tonight. It has all the usual realtor irritations such as the stuck cap lock, the multiple abbreviations, and of course the excessive use of exclamation points. But the spelling.... how many errors can you find in this listing?


5817 Royal Pl in Riverside.

ABSOLUTLY STUNNING CUSTOM ESTATE HOME LOCATED ON TOP OF THE HILL WITH 380 DEGREE VIEW IN PRESTIGES AREA OF RIVERSIDE. THIS CHARMING HOME COMPLETLY REMODELED WITH UPGRADES (OVER 100,000). THIS GORGEOUS HOME HAS GLASS DOUBLE DOORS ENTRY W/ MARBLE FLOORING, NEW UPGRADED CARPET, MAHOGAMY STAINDED CABINETS, HIGH CEILINGS, 3 FIRE PLACES IN FAMILY AND DINNING AND LIVING AND MASTER BEDROOMS WITH RETREAT, CUSTOM HARD WOOD FLOORING IN LRG LIVING ROOM, FORMAL DINNING AND FAMILY RMS, BARS, PACIOS KITCHEN WITH UPGREDED CABINETS, APPLIANCES, WALK-IN PANTRY , GRANITE COUNTER TOPS, ENTERTAINING BACKYARD W/ MOUNTAIN VIEWS LARGE HEATED POOL WITH SPA, BUILT-IN B. B. Q. , FRESHLY LANDESCAPED!! THIS HOME INDEED HAS IT ALL!!!

This listing is just horrid. In addition to the horrible text, the pictures are awful. The house was purchased in July 07 for $965k. There's a buyer with his finger on the pulse of the market, eh? Well past the beginning of the bubble popping this clown pays nearly a million for a home that not only looks dated but is also a bit worn looking. A year later he comes to his senses and tries to escape for $900k. By then of course the market has sunk well past that level. He's been reducing the price ever since and is now down to $540k. At that price it's probably a short sale.

10 comments:

Vicki Lloyd said...

It hurts my eyes to look at the ALL CAP description! I saw some spelling errors, but really couldn't read much of it. Gross!

Dingo Baldwin said...

Golfer X...you are my favorite. That was hilarious. I am assuming your spelling error was done tongue in cheek for those of us that check your spelling as well. Clever.

golfer_X said...

I just type to damn fast and my brain gets ahead of my fingers. Normally I come back later and re-read my posts to fix the errors.

Hey, maybe Realtors should try that. That listing has been up 144 days! Not once did she think to fix the errors. Hell, she missed with the very first word.

How about the other gaffs. There are 100,000 upgrades, and how about that "entertaining backyard". Indeed this listing has it all;-)

jeffreyz said...

i love the "380 degree" view. i guess 20 degrees are so special i need to see them twice.

Marsupial said...

At least in the second page of photos (#17, I think) you actually get to see the photographer in the mirrors. You just can't get that kind of personal touch from a professional!

Unknown said...

The listing and comments are hysterical. I've had my morning laugh now.

Unknown said...

In other news, skeleton found in recently purchased Fontana foreclosure:

http://www.ktla.com/landing_topstories/?Homeowner-Finds-Skeleton-in-Chimney=1&blockID=221971&feedID=1198

Anonymous said...

Suprise, suprise.. another foreclosure moratorium...

http://www.housingwire.com/2009/02/24/90-day-moratorium-for-california/

golfer_X said...

We covered that in the last post. I doubt that this will have any affect since most lenders are already taking way longer than the max even under this new law.

it is written said...

Trust me X, I cringe when people ask me what I do. I actually became a real estate agent BECAUSE of incompetent realtors. I used to have a collection of properties and as I would sell them, I would hire local realtors. I quickly discovered the vast majority of them are idiots, and that I could do better myself. So without ever intending to do this full time, my wife and I both got our licenses, and I was right: despite what those in profession will lie and tell you, this is NOT rocket science! Turns out if you don't condescend to people, and treat them as equals, and tell the truth, they will trust you as a professional and even tell their friends and family about you. So this has become a full-time gig for us. Most of your readers are much more intelligent and insightful than the average realtor. I even hate going to the local real estate supply shop. So many phonies. I think I know what it is....those that don't know much have to project a certain image to create the perception that they are smarter than you. It's disgusting. Alas, I am lumped in with them. All I know is the more I know, the more I don't know anything! I've enjoyed reading your posts since the beginning, X. Keep it up. Don't be fooled, there is another leg down. You know, when that 70% "shadow" inventory of foreclosures hits the market.