Monday, February 9, 2009

Everything but the location



Here's exactly what I'm looking for. It has everything but the location. 15881 Rawhide Ln is a custom home up near Lake Mathews. This was on the market as a spec home for very long time. They started off asking around a million and slowly came down to about $800k. Looks like the bank took this one off their hands. The bank's asking price is quite fair at $359k. In fact I might even go so far as to say this one is a great deal (assuming it's finished and not thrashed inside).

The home is a custom build. It sits on just over 2 acres of dirt. It has 4 beds and 4 baths spread out over 3615 sq/ft. Best of all it has a 4 car garage. It's hard to tell from the pictures if there is flooring installed. Some might consider this a positive since you can pick your own. But if there is no flooring you need to factor in at least 20k for decent flooring. Even so the price is still very good, if only the location was.

The only drawback to this house is the location. It's off the beaten path on a dirt road and it looks like it's surrounded by commercial lots (a nursery and who knows what else). I guess that's why the price is so low. I will be checking this one out though!

So close.......

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.. Thats a nice place for $359... Too bad I live in Monterey, or I'd consider a castle like that... For that price, you can get a decent, but definitely older home around here now. As in, built in the 1950's, 1400 sq ft. Needs complete rehab.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...why do the Blues Brothers suddenly come to mind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

Martin Burtin said...

I took a virtual drive out there to look at the property, on gmap. Lmao @ ButterMonkey, yeeehawww! gittyup doggie! Gotta love that drive up to the house off of El Sobrante. I can imagine telling friends and relatives, uhhh, just take the unmarked dirt road off of El Sobrante, then follow on past the "no dumping" sign, then past discarded mattress and piles of old tires. When you get to the row of lemon trees you're almost there.

I could be happy there enjoying a little solitude, and being just remote enough to discourage casual visits from most parasites, err I mean family and friends.

My wife however would not be happy there, and that would have a definite impact on my enjoyment of solitude; to the extent that I just might end up enjoying a whole lot more solitude than originally anticipated.

golfer_X said...

That's kinda my feeling. I like the idea of a nice secluded location. But being surrounded by trash heaps, storage lots and rotting old cars just takes the shine off the whole little house on the prairie fantasy..

Unknown said...

not to pry but i am curios as to why you like the one story only since most houses built are 2 story

golfer_X said...

I hate stairs! I've lived in a one story house forever. I'm not 100% against a 2 story. If I find a place that is stellar but it's a 2 story then I might go for it. I just like everything on the same level. It makes dealing with the laundry, the cleaning and stuff so much easier. Plus as I get older I really don't want to be going up and down stairs all the time. Going downstairs to get to the kitchen at night just blows.

golfer_X said...

BTW most homes are two stories, not because more people want that. It's because the builder makes more money building 2 story homes. The only reason they build one story homes is because many cities require a certain amount of one story homes be built. They can get a bigger home on a small lot if it's mulit story. They bigger the home the more the builder will make. Simple economics!

Marsupial said...

It's nice to see a ranch house for a change, but... I guess Lake Matthews is about the only place you can have one. Lots of room out there. LOTS of room. Still, used cars available on every corner, hot and cold running meth, hellish car wrecks off the hillside every weekend... the entertainment takes care of itself!

Unknown said...

you need to get great photos and a video tour to set yourself apart from the thousand of listings out there. Its hard to get noticed with just the standard photos.. Video tours have been the secret to our success. I found an inexpensive company in Southern Californi,a Riverside and the inland empire area called www.grandtourz.com they knock real video tours and not just a slideshow with music, real video and narration for a great package price. Check them out tell them Mark sent you.