Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Phantom inventory

There have been lot's of posts on many different blogs and even a few real news outlets about the "phantom inventory" that the banks own. Homes that the banks foreclosed on, but for some unknown reason they don't list them for sale. The theories about why they are doing this are many. The most reasonable seems to be that they do not want to flood the market with REO's. Doing so would put tremendous downward pressure on prices making for even higher losses for them.



Here's a perfect example of Phantom Inventory, 6432 High Country Cr, in Corona. This home is over in Eastvale. One of a gazillion bank owned or soon-to-be bank owned homes in the area. This home went back to the bank in July of 2008. It JUST hit the market in March 2009. That's over 7 months from the time the bank took it back. I cannot find any evidence that they tried to sell it during this time. Btw the home sold in June 2007 for $680k. Anyone smell a rat? This home is not even that large, there's no way it was worth that kind of money in mid 2007. For the bank to foreclose 13 months later we can almost be assured that no payments were ever made. That sale has fraud stamped on it in big neon pink letters. But hey, it's offered up now for $314k or $109 sq/ft.

On my way to work every morning I pass several homes (in Corona) that are empty and bank owned. They've been like that for nearly a year and I have yet to see a For Sale sign stuck in front of any of them.

5 comments:

Empire Realty said...

My gut feeling is some of the homes get lost in the large inventory and until the files are found ofr an audit finds them they are empty and waiting for a foreclosure party.

Take care!
RJH

golfer_X said...

I just see too many to think that is the case. I'm sure some do but if that's the case with most of them, then god help the banks.

Christina said...

I'm wondering if there are some issues tracking down exactly which bank holds the paper. Of course I'm not sure how exactly forclosures work but I do know you pay your mortgage to a servicer not directly to the bank.

My parents had their mortgage sold a few times and they sent a letter to the servicer asking for some paper work. They were told that they couldn't find any loan papers.

I think the paperwork may be taking a long time as a result of the large amount of foreclosures.

theY said...

I enjoy the f'd up houses you find. I'd thought i'd share the little nugget i found today. Trying to take a huge loss after 1 month?????? wtf?

now: http://www.redfin.com/CA/Moreno-Valley/23612-Tarara-Dr-92557/home/5061236


1 month ago: http://www.trulia.com/homes/California/Moreno_Valley/sold/5778317-23612-Tarara-Dr-Moreno-Valley-CA

a said...

I think Norco is going to bottom out well below $100 a square foot. So many mcmansions were built there during the bubble. I can't figure out why anyone would want to live there even if they do get rid of the cow shite smell. Parts of Corona are much nicer.